In 1985, Canseco won the Baseball America Minor League Player of the Year Award, and was a late season call-up for the Oakland A's, playing in 29 games in the major leagues in 1985. In 1986, his first full season, he was named the American League's Rookie of the Year after connecting on 33 home runs and 117 runs batted in.In 1988, Canseco became the first player in major league history to hit at least 40 home runs and steal at least 40 bases in the same year, by hitting 42 home runs and stealing 40 bases. In 1989, Canseco hit 17 home runs for the World Champion Oakland Athletics. Canseco in his career stroked 462 home runs, accumulating a batting average of .266.
* 6× All-Star selection (1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1999)
* 2× World Series champion (1989, 2000)
* 4× Silver Slugger Award winner (1988, 1990, 1991, 1998)
* 1988 AL MVP
* 1986 AL Rookie of the Year
* 1994 AL Comeback Player of the Year